Monday, March 20, 2006

ComingUpToRetirement?

The only thing that is true about change today is that it will happen, whether we embrace it or fight it is our choice. However, change will happen!

I was peacefully enjoying a day at home to help support a return of health when I received a phone call from a colleague and the person in charge of "accommodation" for the school board with which I work. He was calling to let me know that a school nearby had sustained some structural damage last spring and that they would close at the end of the next day. We would receive all the grade 5 & 6's from their school and we needed to be ready for their arrival by Monday morning at 8:00 AM.

So began the most amazing few days.

I had not realized how much my younger daughter worries about me and my health. You can read her blog at her blog. I love her dearly which is why I am so actively trying to protect my health right now. I want to be around when and if she marries and I was to be around to support both of them if they decide to have children.....I want to be the doting grandpa.

About this move... though it all sounds nightmarish, it was far worse being part of the school that had to move. Granted we had to find space for them. The hardest part of my week was telling the kindergarten teacher, who had the most wonderful double classroom and had pretty much spread all over the place, that she had to move every little piece of equipment up stairs to a single room much smaller that any other classroom space.

The best part of the entire process is/are/whatever the incredible people with whom I work. There were no complaints. Lots of extra work - made even more difficult by the students being there while we sorted through and got rid of 4.5 tonnes of "stuff." We had made tentative plans to do this clean up over the next four months to prepare for receiving about the same number of children next fall. So instead of 4 months, we had two days.

This morning (Monday), at 8:00, the kids from the other school arrived, entered the building and their classes started as if there had been no big fuss. At 9:00, our kids arrived and until they heard the faint sound of a bell ringing outside to tell the other school that recess was over, they really didn't realize that the other kids were there.

Just before our "Welcome Assembly", I was contacted by the local TV station to be interviewed to tell how the "ordeal" went. Truly, no matter how awful it might have been, I was not going to admit to anyone that there was a problem, or that we were not happy with them coming to our building.

They do everything an hour earlier than us, so we are never on the playground at the same time, in the gym at the same time, or really involved with anything together.

So, H. Thank you for your thoughts. Perhaps that's what kept me calm the whole time.

Thank you as well, to one of the most amazing groups of people I know - my staff. You are incredible!

Thank you to the most amazing group of labourers and movers assemble by Dewaine from shipping and receiving. They performed miracle after miracle both Thursday and Friday.

No comments: