Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Susan

Yesterday, after a short meeting that I had with the minister at the church where I work, I came downstairs and there was a woman waiting who was visibly upset. I asked her if I could help her and she asked if I was the minister. I told her that I was the child and youth coordinator and she told me through tears that her daughter was just taken into foster care. She then asked if I would go to the sanctuary and pray with her. I didn't think much about it and agreed to do so.

This is the first time anyone has ever asked me to pray WITH them. It was a new experience and I wondered internally what I would do. It just came naturally.

I didn't pray for some outside force to come and help this woman and her daughter. I prayed, instead, for the God inside us all to come and respond to the needs that were being expressed by the young woman as she sat beside me. I felt so incredibly connected to her as she gave cues about what she needed. I hoped that we would be able to connect with her daughter as she experienced her own pain in this time of tumult in their lives. This wasn't about giving over control or power, but it was about sharing and support. It was about invoking all that might be helpful and supportive.

Afterwards, I invited her to return if she ever wanted to do this again. What an honour to be able to share with someone. Thank you, Susan.

Loving God, I know you are inside me.
I invite you to be a part of everything I am and do.
I want to think with your mind.
I want to love with your heart.
Please show me the truth that I know is inside.

No comments: